Dad had a great time in Austria last week, and here are some of his photo's. I would love to go to Austria!!
The following is copied from the Leger website.
Itinerary. (Dad took all of the opitonal trips as well)
* Day 1 – Local departure then onwards to Belgium for an overnight stay.
* Day 2 – Continue south to Saalbach, Austria, for a 6-night stay.
* Day 3 – Zell-am-See and Lake Cruise (included). Zell-am-See mixes lofty peaks and stunning alpine scenery. Take a cruise on Lake Zell to experience the tranquil setting, then enjoy time to wander around the town. We recommend a cable car ride up Schmittenhöhe mountain (extra cost), or instead you can relax at a local café with strudel and coffee.
* Day 4 – Kitzbühel and the Gisela Train (optional). We board the’ Gisela’ train at Zell am See for a nostalgic ride through the hills to Kitzbühel. The ceremonial opening of the first continuous European railway connection from Paris to Istanbul took place in 1875. The centrepiece of the original train is the Royal Imperial Mail Carriage of 1910. The middle section was made into a saloon car, hosting an original mail box with a special stamp, a buffet and a bar.
* Day 5 – Salzburg and Lake Mondsee (optional, included on Silver Service). One of the most beautiful cities in Austria, Salzburg offers lovely, tranquil squares and medieval lanes, gothic churches and quaint cafés. For the best view of the city, climb to the terrace of the fortress of Hohensalzburg. Later we head towards the Austrian Lake District and the resort of Mondsee, on the lake of the same name. A day of contrasting beauty in city and countryside.
* Day 6 – Grössglockner Glacier (included). Travelling along the Grössglockner Hochalpenstrasse, we ascend Austria’s highest mountain, the Grössglockner (Big Bell). The impressive icy world of the glacier can be captured from the Franz-Josef’s-Heights viewing platform, before we continue to the charming mountaineers’ village of Heiligenblut, where you can shop or simply relax.
* Day 7 – Hallstatt and Bad Ischl (optional). Join our full-day excursion to the Salzkammergut through splendid
scenery to visit the Hallstattersee lake and the picture-postcard village of Hallstatt. We also visit the spa town of Bad Ischl, which was the summer residence of Emperor Franz Joseph.
* Day 8 – To Belgium for an overnight stay.
* Day 9 – To Calais then return home.