Sunday, 3 July 2011

Hunstanton??? NOOOOO, Skegness!

The day started well... all of us up early, in a good mood, looking forward to a great day out. We originally were going to Hunstanton, but then showed Matthew Skegness on the internet and he said we could go there instead. 
Matthew had a bath, Justin a shave, and I straightened my hair... then disaster! Half an hour before Justin's dad and step mum were due to arrive, water began pouring from the header tank out onto the patio area by the kitchen. Justin will be the first to tell you that he's useless at anything to do with DIY. Luckily, his dad isn't... 
Steve (Justin's dad), turned off the water and went up into the loft and said the fault was the ball valve was kaput. Weird it should go all of a sudden. Anyhoo... on the way to Skegness, we made a quick stop at Homebase and picked up a new ball valve, and headed off.
Skegness is brilliant! SO much to do! Unfortunately we only had about 5 hours there so didn't get to do too much. Matthew loved it there! 
First stop was Harry Ramsbottom's fish and chip restuarant. Lovely!!! Then we went into the amusements, Matthew likes the 2p falls thingies. After that it was onto the pier, then icecream - I really shouldn't have had that being lactose intolerant... I felt ill until I got into bed that night after that! But the icecream was GORGEOUS! It was whippy icecream and the cone is filled with icecream... mmmm... but I did suffer afterwards, lol. After the icecreams, it was on to the beach and we all, except Steve, had a paddle in the sea, it was really warm. 
Matthew, Justin, and Steve, then had a game of cricket. Then it was onto the gift shops to get some rock/fridge magnets etc, and along the sands back towards where we were parked, but first a drink and a final play on the sand. We then had another go in the amusements then a quick nip to the loo.... 20p it costs to go to the loo in Skegness! Silly me didn't realise that after 6pm the turnstile on the exit bit was left open, so I needn't have paid that time... 
We got home around 8.30pm. Justin and Steve went up into the loft and fixed the ball valve... which was a bit touch and go because the bit it had to fit too had corroded quite abit. After that, it was Frankie and Benny's... lovely as usual, and we got home around 11pm. Joan and Steve went back to The Marriot, Matthew watched Thursday's Eastenders, and then we all went to bed at half 11.

Today we were woken up by Matthew at half five this morning saying that the bathroom was flooded! For some reason the cistern had allowed more water in and the overflow pipe had leaked, lol... plus we saw a damp patch on the bedroom ceiling, which we think was caused by yesterday's disaster. We still have no idea why the cistern did what it did, but it didn't do it anymore.
We went to Bury St Edmunds today to visit Justin's 2 aunts, 2 uncles, 2 cousins, and Nan and Grandad. Everyone was really lovely. We'd go to one of one of the aunts and uncles bungalows... the other pair live opposite. The bungalow had a lovely garden, with a fab veggie patch and greenhouse. Matthew had a laugh with his great Uncle Stephen, and great uncle Mark's chocolate labrador. Mind you, it's the wives of those that are Stephen's (Justin's dads) sisters... 
Matthew's Great Grandad gave Matthew £20!! He's putting it in his holiday fund... next year we're staying at Butlins!
Home by around 6pm, all worn out... Joan and Steve then had to drive to Devon... 

Here's some pics!

 LOL @ my hair! 


  1. Some really great pics here Roz. Glad you had a fab ( busy!) few days. The weather looks lovely too. Looking forward to seeing the scrapbook pages you make with these pics.xx

  2. Fabulous photos of you and yours!


Thank you SO much for leaving a message, it's much appreciated.
Love Roz